Fireplace. Craft Olympics 5, + Makings
In the study we had this 1930s concrete tiled fireplace.
As you can see it was the wrong proportions for the Victorian room.
So it came out, and a lot of rubble.
Leaving me with the original red tiled hearth
and a few broken Victorian tiles to give me clues about the original fireplace.
The new hearth went down on top of the original tiles.
And the new fireplace went in. Eventually. The men were ill so it was only finished at 7.30pm the night before the carpet was booked to be fitted.
I may have been panicing slightly.
The room got cleaned with countless buckets of water. That soot and dust got everywhere!
Curtains went in the wash.
In the morning bright and early, grippers went around the edge and underlay went down for the 1st time in this room’s life.
Then there was a hitch- the carpet was too small. Luckily they had enough on the roll back at the shop,
So the carpet went in- the same red as the living room.
It is pretty close to the red of the original hearth tiles.
I’ve nicknamed the fireplace “Big Bertha”
She is all dressed for Christmas with a garland on the mantle piece now.
I’ve been making a few things. I had a bash at some non granny square crochet and made a butterfly.
I knitted a cushion cover with button back to sew it onto.
This is my 5th Craft Olympic challenge finish. I used the fabric paints to create the pictures you saw last time. I added a freehand drawn flower pot for the centre.
It has tulip sashings (thank you Simone) fussy cut so the tulips were always the right way up. The keystones are sparkly blues and plain blues. The border is sparkly blue. I bound it in left over bindings in yellow and orange. (Thank you Stephanie.)
Please take a look at the other Craft Olympic finishes in my sidebar before the New Year when the challenge is over.
If I have missed anyone’s please let me know as I haven’t been on-line every day this week.
The felt Autumn hanging is also finished.
I love playing with felt in the cold weather. This section shows my old felted jumper as the background.
I used DMC perle 5 thread.
Another finish is a little pixie panel I bought at the Birmingham Quilt Festival this year.
Bungle wouldn’t mind it. 🙂
I made up the design based on the centre panel using fairy, elf mice and mushroom fabric.
I have made a hat too but forgot to take a pic. Good job it isn’t wrapped yet!
I feel so disorganised this Christmas. Maybe when all the furniture is back in place and the mop has done the rounds the house will feel better. Failing that I ought to make some mulled wine then the house will at least smell like Christmas.
Posted in Uncategorized by House Elf with 10 comments.